A Brief History
First Presbyterian Church of Flint celebrates a committed and dynamic history in its witness to Jesus Christ. Initially organized as a Congregational church on May 7, 1837, this church family adopted a new form of government, becoming the First Presbyterian Church of Flint on August 7, 1841.
During the nearly century and a half of organized worship, ministry and service, the congregation has been located on three different sites. The first edifice was constructed in 1837, on the corner of South Saginaw and First Streets. The second building was located at the corner of South Saginaw and Second Streets and dedicated in 1848. The current church building was dedicated debt free on November 13, 1885.
To meet the expanding needs of this growing congregation, a new church house was erected and dedicated on May 19, 1929. As this congregation continued in this vision to "prepare and involve people in Christ's mission in the world" additional facilities were required. This addition features a physical expansion on three levels. Dedication of the new facilities took place on May 3, 1987.
Some of our Pastors
The congregation is especially grateful for the pastoral leadership which has provided so much inspiration to the vital church family.
In 1922, Rev. Ralph D. Kearns of Calvary Presbyterian Church in Chicago accepted the call to be pastor of this congregation. It was during the time of his ministry that the church house was built.
In 1948, Dr. David E. Molyneaux was called from Salem, Ohio to become pastor in this church. During this thirty-one year ministry the congregation experienced significant growth.
In 1980, Dr. Donald C. McFerren was called to be the twentieth pastor of this congregation. During Dr. McFerren's tenure, the extensive building addition and renovation was accomplished.
Dr. William North Jackson served this congregation for ten years beginning in 1989. Remembered among the many areas of growth witnessed during his years of ministry will be the beginning of the Adult Sunday School hour that now takes place after the 9:30am service on each Sunday morning and the increased opportunities during the week for Adult Bible study.
In 2001, Dr. John Musgrave was called to be the twenty-second pastor of this congregation from Red Bank, New Jersey. Under Pastor Musgrave's ministry, the Church refocused it's mission and the way it conducts ministry. Engaged by Christ's love to invite, worship, nurture and serve, this congregation is dedicated to proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
In 2016, The Rev. Dr. Joseph Novak was called to be the twenty-third senior pastor of FPCF. Alongside Associate Pastor Paul Ytterock, Pastor Novak has carried on much of the work of his predecessors, striving to create a church culture that produces a rich and vibrant integration of faith and practice.